How many receivers will Matt LaFleur need in his offense?

How many receivers will Matt LaFleur need in his offense?

liny195
 Who slides into what roles? No spot on the Packers roster is more up for grabs than this one." />Skip to main contentclockmenumore-arrownoyesAcme Packing Company homepageHorizontal - WhiteAcme Packing Companya Green Bay Packers communityFollow Acme Packing Company online:Follow Acme Packing Company on TwitterFollow Acme Packing Company on FacebookFollow Acme Packing Company on InstagramLog in or sign upLog InSign UpSite searchSearchSearchAcme Packing Company main menuFanpostsFanshotsSectionsPackersOddsAboutMastheadCommunity GuidelinesStubHubMoreAll 321 blogs on Horizontal - WhiteFanposts Fanshots Sections The APC PodcastPackers Film RoomFantasy Football AdviceCDTShare this storyShare this on FacebookShare this on TwitterShareAll sharing optionsShareAll sharing options for:Packers 2019 Training Camp Roster: WRs battle for role in new offense [url=https://www.thepackersfanshop.com/Dave-Robinson-Jersey]https://www.thepackersfanshop.com/Dave-Robinson-Jersey[/url] , final roster spots TwitterFacebookRedditPocketFlipboardEmailJake Kumerow is a fan favorite and has the trust of Aaron Rodgers, but can he bust his way onto this team in 2019? Photo by Larry Radloff/Icon Sportswire via Getty ImagesIn 2019, the Green Bay Packers’ roster looks very different from how it appeared at the end of the 2018 season. A large group of free agents, draft picks, and undrafted rookies will come to training camp to challenge for roster spots and a role on the team’s regular season 53-man roster. Over the next two weeks, Acme Packing Company will break down the roster position-by-position and reveal our compiled predictions for the 53-man roster.Davante Adams should finally assume the mantle he’s deserved in 2019 as a bona fide elite receiver, but beyond him the Packers face critical questions about who else can do what in Matt LaFleur’s new play-action heavy, vertical passing game. Gone are the isolation routes and necessity to win every snap on pure talent. LaFleur opens up space for his receivers, gives them the chance to confuse cornerbacks with double moves, and provide the quarterback with clear lanes to find them. With a crowded receiver room and an offense that will rarely go to four receiver sets, just how many guys can make this roster? Can J’Mon Moore shake off a clanker of a rookie season and earn a roster spot? What of Touchdown Jesus? No position on this Green Bay roster offers more intrigue and excitement than the receiver group. Here’s a look at the WRs on the team and stay tuned for our prediction later on this afternoon.Davante Adams Experience: Entering 6th NFL season2018 Stats: 15 games played, all starts; 111 catches on 169 targets, 1386 yards (12.5 yards/catch), 13 touchdowns How Acquired: Second-round pick in 2014Packers fans understand how good Adams has been going back to 2017, when he solidified his standing as a No. 1 putting up numbers even with Brett Hundley. The 26-year-old punctuated that ascension with a Pro Bowl campaign in 2018, finishing with nearly 1400 yards and a game away from breaking Green Bay single-season records. If he can stay healthy, there’s a legitimate chance he’s the best No. 1 receiver in Titletown in a generation. Marquez Valdes-ScantlingExperience: Entering 2nd NFL season2018 Stats: 16 games played, 10 starts; 38 catches on 73 targets, 581 yards (15.3 yards/catch), 2 touchdowns; 2 rushing attempts, 29 yardsHow Acquired: Fifth-round pick in 2018Is the breakout coming because the hype train left the station weeks ago. Valdes-Scantling’s numbers don’t jump out, but his tape from last season does, particularly with his ability to stretch the field vertically. If Rodgers hits a few more of those deep shots, MVS could have put up 800+ yards last season as a fifth-round pick. He’s a perfect fit for LaFleur’s shot play passing game and looks to be running ahead of veteran Geronimo Allison as the No. 2 outside receiver.Geronimo Allison Experience: Entering 4th NFL season2018 Stats:5 games played, 4 starts; 20 catches on 30 targets, 303 yards (15.2 yards/catch), 2 touchdowns How Acquired: UDFA in 2016After getting a juiced short-term contract in restricted free agency, Allison enters 2019 as the projected slot receiver for this offense. How much he plays remains very much a question though. Will he be the outside receiver on the field in two-receiver sets? For much of OTAs, that guy has been Valdes-Scantling. If the Packers only play with three receivers ~45% of the time as they did in Tennessee last season, Allison will have to be efficient with his impact plays, though we saw last season that’s something he’s capable of doing in spurts. Equanimeous St. Brown Experience: Entering 2nd NFL season2018 Stats: 12 games played, 7 starts; 21 catches on 36 targets, 328 yards yards (15.6 yards/catch), 0 touchdowns; 1 rushing attempt, 5 yards How Acquired: Sixth-round pick in 2018St. Brown’s development represents the true wild card in this group. He’s the second-most talented receiver in the room and if he can play to that potential, looks like a possible passing game cornerstone. Last season we saw him play hard, run physically, and demonstrate considerable toughness. His future in this offense could be as a big slot where he has a chance to be deadly [url=https://www.thepackersfanshop.com/Aaron-Jones-Jersey]Aaron Jones Jersey[/url] , but can he start to put it together this season? Jake Kumerow Experience: Entering 2nd NFL season*2018 Stats: 5 games played, 2 starts; 8 catches on 11 targets, 103 yards (12.9 yards/catch), 1 touchdown How Acquired: Signed to practice squad in 2017Kumerow will test how much sway Rodgers has with the new coaching staff and front office. Clearly he likes what Touchdown Jesus brings to the table (presumably wine and fishes). He flashed with that long touchdown against the Jets, but Brian Gutekunst will have to weigh his immediate impact ability with the long-term development of J’Mon Moore, as well as the return ability of Trevor and Jawill Davis. *Kumerow came into the league in 2015 but only ever landed on practice squads before making his first NFL catch in 2018Trevor DavisExperience: Entering fourth NFL season2018 Stats: 2 games played, 0 starts; No receiving stats; 4 punt returns, 44 yards; 1 kick return, 20 yards How Acquired: Fifth-round pick in 2016This is it for Davis, a make-or-break training camp and preseason. He won’t be on this roster if he can’t show more than just return skills. There are too many other talented players at receiver to justify rostering him unless he’s Devin Hester as a returner, which — spoiler alert — he’s not. His speed and ability with the ball in his hands after the catch should be a nice fit offensively, so if he doesn’t show anything early, we might not even have to make it to final cuts to determine his fate on this team. J’Mon Moore Experience: Entering 2nd NFL season2018 Stats: 12 games played, 0 starts; 2 catches on 3 targets, 15 yards (7.5 yards/catch), 0 touchdowns; 4 kick returns, 102 yards, 25.5 yards/return How Acquired: Fourth-round pick in 2018Moore offers us two questions heading into August: was he simply a mistake? And how quickly is Gutekunst willing to moving on if he is? Answering “no” to the first renders the second moot and that’s exactly what Green Bay needs from Moore. His route runner and double-move ability in particular should make a fit for the system. Performing at least near the level of someone like Kumerow could slide him ahead based on draft pedigree and age (24 vs. 27). Showing improvement, even if he’s not as good as Kumerow or Davis, could be enough to save his spot. Jawill Davis Experience: Entering 2nd NFL season2018 Stats:7 games played, 0 starts; 4 catches on 8 targets, 40 yards yards (10 yards/attempt), 0 touchdowns; 12 punt returns, 89 yards, 7.4 yards/return; 7 kick returns, 171 yards, 24.4 yards/returnHow Acquired: Claimed off waivers in May, 2019Like his other namesake on the roster, Davis has demonstrated return ability and little else to this point in his NFL career. Luckily for him, there’s no baggage with the quarterbacks and given Trevor came as a draft pick under the old front office, there may be no more loyalty shown to him over Jawill. If either hopes to crack the 53 though, it will take more than return ability to do it. Allen LazardExperience: Entering 2nd NFL season2018 Stats: 1 game played, 0 starts; 1 catch on 1 target, 7 yardsHow Acquired: Signed to the practice squad in 2018Lazard joined the team late last season to some level of optimism among those of us on the dark corners of Packers Draft Twitter. His size and production in college portended a player who could be a red zone booster and a potential big slot target. Lazard never had time to show any of that, but should get that opportunity in training camp and the exhibition season. He’s a longshot to make the roster could be this year’s breakout fringe roster receiver Packers fans are convinced can’t be snuck onto the practice squad ... who ultimately ends up on the practice squad. Teo Redding Experience: Entering 2nd NFL season2018 Stats: No statsHow Acquired: Signed to practice squad in 2018This is a true flier. Redding came into the league with the Lions as a UDFA last year but didn’t make the final roster. He spent a week with Washington before ultimately landing with the Packers just after midseason. He’s a bouncy athlete with a burst score in the 91st percentile (in other words, he’s explosive in a straight line). Redding could be a candidate to make a couple splash plays in the fourth quarter of exhibition games and wind up making another club as a result. Darrius Shepherd Experience: Rookie2018 Stats (North Dakota State): 15 games, 62 catches, 1065 yards [url=https://www.thepackersfanshop.com/Kenny-Clark-Jersey]Kenny Clark Color Rush Jersey[/url] , 9 touchdowns; 7 rushes, 41 yardsHow Acquired: Undrafted free agentShepherd is an older prospect without elite college production at the FCS level which he makes up for by having bottom quartile athleticism. Nothing about his profile says “Packers player,” which means they see something particularly unique about him. We’ll tell you when/if we see it too. GREEN BAY, Wis. — The Green Bay Packers are winless on the road and there are questions about coach Mike McCarthy’s job security.Packers CoveragePhotos of the Week: 7/21/19 – 7/27/19Packers rookie Gary’s biggest critic is himselfTop Tweets: Former Badger TJ Watt has impressive four-year transformationPHOTOS: 2019 Green Bay Packers training campPackers’ Rodgers, LaFleur ironing out offense, building chemistryPlayers to watch at Green Bay Packers 2019 training campLaFleur: Offense still a work in progress as Packers open campPackers release defensive tackle Mike DanielsGreen Bay Packers 2019 training camp primerPackers’ Rodgers not ranked as a top-5 quarterback in Madden 20However they enter Sunday night’s game at Minnesota trailing the Vikings by just one game for the final NFC wild-card spot.“We fully understand where we are. We understand what our record is,” McCarthy said on Monday. “We need to win on the road. That’s something we haven’t done.”The game against the Vikings will be Green Bay’s fourth road game in five games coming out of their bye. They were tied or ahead in the fourth quarter at the Los Angeles Rams, New England Patriots and again on Thursday against the Seattle Seahawks, but lost all three games.The bad news for the Packers is that the latest defeat left them at 4-5-1. The good news is the NFC playoff chase is jumbled. While Chicago seized control of the NFC North race with its victory over Minnesota on Sunday night, the Vikings (5-4-1) lead the Seattle Seahawks (5-5), Dallas Cowboys (5-5) and Packers in the pursuit for the last playoff spot.“We understand that there’s still a lot of football left,” safety Tramon Williams said. “As long as there’s a lot of football left, we know that we have a chance to be where we want to be at. Will it be easy? No, but we’re optimistic.”Having played on Thursday, the Packers got a short break to get ready for that game in Seattle. Four starters didn’t travel to Seattle because of injuries — receiver Randall Cobb, safety Kentrell Brice, cornerback Kevin King and outside linebacker Nick Perry.Tight end Jimmy Graham suffered a broken thumb during the first half and defensive tackle Mike Daniels sustained a foot injury during the second half. McCarthy said Graham “intends to try to play” while Daniels will miss a couple of weeks.The return of Cobb and Graham could bolster an inconsistent offense. Green Bay ranks eighth in yards, but only 13th in points because of mediocre production on third down (19th) and in the red zone (14th). Cobb had a huge game in a come-from-behind-victory over Chicago in Week 1 with nine catches for 142 yards, including the game-winning, 75-yard touchdown.Over the past nine games, however, he’s been inactive five times and caught 17 passes for 116 yards and no touchdowns. Graham is second on the team with 34 receptions, but has only one catch in three of his past four games.“Everybody is very frustrated. Nobody wants to lose games,” Cobb said. “We don’t go out and work every day in the offseason to come into the season in shape and go through training camp and beat each other up in training camp and go through seasons and lose games. Nobody wants to do that. That’s not fun. We want to win games and we’ve won a lot around here. We’ve got to find a way to get back on track.”The Packers are running out of time, regardless of what the playoff standings suggest. A sixth consecutive road loss on Sunday would put Green Bay two games behind Minnesota (plus the head-to-head tiebreaker) with five to play.Still, the Packers have a chance. They were 4-6 at this point in the 2016 season and reached the NFC championship came. Among the four primary challengers for the last playoff spot, the Packers have the easiest remaining schedule. Their final six opponents have a combined winning percentage of (.425), followed by the Seahawks (.442), Cowboys (.500) and Vikings (.542).“Our reality, it’s where we expect to be,” McCarthy said. “Regardless of what anybody’s opinion is, we expect to complete the goal that we set out back in April. That’s the big-picture focus. But it’s not anything we’re talking about right now.“Because part of the message today, there’s not a whole lot to talk about. We know where we are, we knew this four-game stretch was going to be a challenge, we didn’t hit the target as well as we’d like, but now we have six seven-day stretches here. We have full intentions of going to Minnesota and winning this game.”